Want me to review your book? I’d love to … provided it falls within the below guidelines.
I urge you to browse my GoodReads shelf and reviews, and familiarise yourself with my tastes before you submit your work. You also need to be willing to post your book to Sydney, Australia or provide an ebook version that can be read on a Kobo.
My favourite books are well-written and engaging:
- general fiction,
- young adult fiction,
- historical fiction,
So if your book wouldn’t look out-of-place next to these on my shelf, please get in touch.
I’ll also consider:
- fantasy, sci-fi, paranornamal
- memoir, non-fiction
- crime, mystery
but I don’t particularly seek out these genres so it’s got to really grab me or be a little more “mainstream”.
Books by Australian authors are especially welcome, provided they fall within the above guidelines.
I will give preference to books published through the traditional channels, but I’ll accept self-published if the blurb/sample chapter really does it for me.
Please don’t submit
As reading time is precious and in short supply, I won’t be accepting:
- picture books or children’s books for under 10 year-olds
- romance, erotica
If your book sounds like my cup of tea, please email me at deliciouslyfictitious [at] gmail [dot] com, or click here with the following information:
- Your full name and relationship to the book (author, publicist, publisher)
- Book title, author, format (paperback, ebook etc), publisher, publish date, page or word count, genre
- A blurb and a sample chapter (preferably no spoilers) – nb, this will not be published
- Whether you are willing to offer your book in a giveaway/contest as part of the review
- Whether the author is willing to be interviewed if necessary
- Book tour/event details, if applicable
- If the book is an advance copy, publication details
- Please put “Review request: [book title]” in the email subject line
Please do not submit your book unless you’ve read and are happy with my review policy.
What happens next?
I want to devote the time to giving your work the thoughtful review it deserves. Wherever possible I will respond to your email within 5 working days advising whether I agree to review your book, and the timeframe within which I can complete the review.
If I don’t think I will like your book I will decline to review it. However, this does not ensure a favourable review if I agree to review it.
I endeavour to always be fair and reasonable in my reviews and comments, however I am committed to providing honest, subjective reviews based on my opinion and experience of the book. If I do not like something I will say so, so you have to be okay with that.
If the author has indicated they are willing to be interviewed, I will advise of whether I wish to take them up on this after reading the book. As a journalist I aim always to operate within the Media Alliance Code of Ethics.